Clare R. Copeland Transformer Station
The transformer station is the first of it’s kind to be built in downtown Toronto since 1955 and adds an additional 144 megavolt-amps of electric capacity to the area. Roni Excavating was contracted to complete excavation and backfilling of the site.
Excavation below groundwater level was necessary, as was the demolition of a below grade concrete hydro vault. The station extends 4 stories underground, and it was imperative that there was minimal intrusion onto valuable above-ground real estate.